Follow along and learn how to design fancy cuffs to go with your favorite outfit.
Make Fancy Cuffs with Folded Flourishes
• strips of paper
• Smart-Fab (available online and at art and school supply stores), paper, or fabric
1. Cut Smart-Fab, paper, or fabric into squares approximately 6 inches by 6 inches (15 cm x 15 cm). If you use fabric, you will want to iron the creases to reinforce the folds.
2. Fold one square in half, forming a triangle, and crease the fold.
3. Take one corner of the longest side and fold it to meet the peak of the triangle. Crease the newest fold.
4. Take the opposite corner and fold it to meet the other one, making a diamond. Crease the newest fold.
5. Set aside your diamond. Repeat, folding five more pieces of Smart-Fab, paper, or fabric.
6. Cut paper into strips about 9 inches by 1 1/2 inches (23 cm x 4 cm) for the wristbands.
7. Measure one strip of paper around your wrist and mark where it meets.
8. Staple the folded pieces of Smart-Fab to the wristband, overlapping the diamonds. The diamonds only need to go as far as the pencil mark you made that shows the length you need to cover your wrist.
9. Put tape on the hanging end of wristband. Flip it over and put tape on the opposite side. Then, secure the wristband and cuff to your wrist.
Make Fancy Cuffs with a Cut Pattern
• strips of paper
• tissue paper
1. Cut tissue paper into approximately 4-inch (10 cm) strips. The length can vary, but should be a little longer than the wristband, about 9 inches (23 cm).
2. Fold the tissue paper into an accordion, folding it back and forth. Make sure the width of each fold matches the one before it.
3. Hold the folded accordion with one hand. Hold scissors in your other hand and cut shapes into the folds. Make sure the shape you cut into one side of the accordion doesn't extend all the way to the other side.
4. Unfold your accordion to reveal the pattern you created.
5. Cut paper into strips about 9 inches by 1 1/2 inches (23 cm x 4 cm) for the wristbands.
6. Measure one strip of paper around your wrist and mark where it meets.
7. Dab glue onto the long edge of the tissue paper and glue onto the wristband. The tissue paper doesn't need to be stretched to its fullest length as long as it reaches the pencil mark you made that shows the length you need to cover your wrist.
8. Put tape on the hanging end of the wristband. Flip it over and put tape on the opposite side. Then, secure the wristband and cuff to your wrist.
#MetKids is a digital feature made for, with, and by kids!
#MetKids Contributors: Bailey, Cleveland, Durga, Emma, Krishna, Mateo.
Inspired by "Suit."
Closed captioning for this video is available in ten additional languages:
#MetKids—قم بتصميم إكسسوارك الخاص: كفات أنيقة
#MetKids—Créer votre propre accessoire de mode : Poignets chics
#MetKids—Entwerfe dein eigenes Mode-Accessoire: Ausgefallene Manschetten
#MetKids—Disegna il tuo Accessorio Fashion: Braccialetto Stravagante
#MetKids—자신만의 패션 액세서리 만들기: 팬시 손목장식
#MetKids—Desenhe seus próprios acessórios de moda: Punhos Decorados
#MetKids—Создай свой собственный модный аксессуар: изящные манжеты
#MetKids—Diseña tu propio accesorio de moda: Elegantes puños
Supported by Bloomberg Philanthropies.
© 2015 The Metropolitan Museum of Art